The smile is one of the most noticeable features in everyone’s appearance. People with a healthy and beautiful smile are naturally magnetic and likeable. However, if you have cracked, broken or severely decayed teeth, you might be reluctant to show off one of your biggest assets.
If you are aiming at a perfect smile but you have cracked or severely decayed teeth, you might be a candidate for dental crowns. Here are the most important things you should know about this dental treatment:
- What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a dental restoration in the form of a tooth-shaped cap, which is placed over a tooth to restore its size, shape, strength, and improve its appearance. Crowns are often needed when a large cavity threatens the ongoing health of a tooth. They can be fabricated from various materials and are typically bonded to the tooth using a dental cement.
- What are the types of dental crowns?
Dental crowns can be classified, depending on the material they are fabricated from:
- Full Porcelain Crowns – These crowns are fabricated from zirconium or aluminum-oxide and are a preferred dental solution by Everett dentists, due to their natural appearance.
- Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns – Also known as “full cast” crowns, these crowns are fabricated from metal alloys and porcelain is fused to the surface to create a natural-looking appearance.
- All-Metal Crowns – Made entirely out of alloys such as a gold alloy. These dental crowns tend to last the longest, but because of aesthetic reasons Everett dentists usually use them to restore back teeth.
- Is dental crown the right solution for me?
Should you have any of the following issues, you might be a candidate for a dental crown treatment:
- A severely decayed tooth
- A cracked tooth
- A misshapen tooth
- Badly discolored or stained tooth
- Teeth that need an implant or a dental bridge
Should you consider dental crown treatment, be sure to contact a proven dental specialist, like Dr. Kavitha Gowda from Perfect Smiles Dentistry – Everett. Dr. Gowda will offer you a thorough examination and help you chose the best solution for your individual needs.
- What are the benefits of dental crowns?
Dental crowns are a great dental solution that can be used for variety of purposes, among which:
- Restoration of broken or misshapen teeth
- Protection of week teeth
- Improvement of the appearance of your smile
- Improving your chewing and communication abilities
- Boosting your self-confidence
- Dental crowns need proper daily care
To ensure their longevity, it is important that you take proper daily care for your crowns. Everett dentists recommend brushing and flossing the crowned teeth three times a day. Crowned teeth could also be prone to increased sensitivity, which requires the usage of dental products, designed for sensitive teeth. In addition, try to avoid hard or very sticky foods, which might damage your crowns or cause them to dislodge.